Entertainment costs typically tend to be where a lot of money is spent … almost unknowingly. Movies, dinners and more … all add up quickly. Being resourceful becomes an art form when it comes to frugal living and you’ve got to be creative in terms of finding ways to save and have fun. So, to help you out when you are bored-silly on a Saturday, or any other day for that matter, here are some Living Frugal Tips for frugal fun:
Frugal Fun Ideas:
Act like a tourist.
1 Go to your local Chamber of Commerce or Visitor’s Center and find out about all the free stuff to do in your town. Most cities have complete brochures on fun, free things to do.
2. Or, go online and check out the same Chamber or Visitor Center resources.
3. Go to a local museum.
4. Check out your city-center or downtown area.
5. Visit the historical sites in your town. Most people know very little about the history of the town they live in.
6. Take a ride on public transportation. You see things differently when you are not driving.
7. Visit a state park.
Get out and play.
8. Start a neighborhood game of kickball (it’s making a huge comeback).
9. Take a walk.
10. Walk your dog.
11. Go to a local park.
12. Find one of the local rails-to-trails areas in your town and explore your area by bike.
13. Go roller-skating.
14. Go ice skating.
15. Go fishing either for the sport of it (catch and release)e or heck, catch your dinner.
16. Go for a bike ride in your neighborhood.
17. Have a picnic.
18. Go bird watching.
19. Hike through the woods.
20. Go nature-watching.
21. Go to the beach.
22. Watch a sunset.
23. Whether it’s Habitat for Humanity or the Humane Society (two of my personal favorites), find a non-profit that you are passionate about and get involved. There are all sorts of local charities in need, especially given the current economic state with reduced donations. It’s a great family thing to do together. It teaches responsibility and allows you to embrace the feeling that doing good … feels good.
Frugal fun nesting inside your home.
24. Play “Design on a Dime” and change up a room in your home – swap out towels, placemats, flower vases, etc. and recreate a room with stuff you already have.
25. Bake something – cookies, a cake or a pie.
26. Make crafts that can later be given as holiday gifts.
27. Make a home movie.
28. Make sock puppets.
29. Have your kids put on a play.
30. Write a letter to a friend or family member (preserve the lost art of hand-written notes).
31. Plant an indoor herb garden.
32. Plan an indoor picnic if the weather is lousy – complete with the blanket on the floor.
34. Play board games.
35. Put a puzzle together.
36. Make a pine cone and peanut butter bird feeder.
Play on the Computer.
42. Find free games to play online.
43. Connect with friends on Facebook.
44. Reconnect with an old friend and send them an email.
45. Catch up on your favorite TV shows online.
Other frugal fun.
46. Find a $1.00 movie theater.
47. Pile up in the car and go for a ride in the country
48. Go to a drive-in movie theater (yes, they do still exist).
49. Go to the library.
50. Power walk through the mall if it’s cold outside (leave your wallet in the car).
My hope is that one of these Living Frugal Tips and frugal fun ideas will help make it a great day for you. Please continue to add to the frugal fun list via the comment field and let’s see how many frugal fun ideas we can come up with.
Enjoy you day!