These top interview questions will help get you prepared. Never under estimate the power of preparation!! In this current economy job security is uncertain and jobs are scarce. When you have the opportunity to interview with a company you need to be prepared to nail the interview.
Below are even more practice interview questions that I gathered from my brilliant friends and colleagues working for Fortune 500 Companies, top national advertising agencies and some of the hottest internet start-ups around the country. Whether you’re a college student just entering the job market and or a seasoned veteran, these interview questions, and more importantly your answers, are critical to shine.
Job Search Interview Questions:
- What do you think we expect most from someone in your job? How do you do on those things?
- Describe your basic leadership style with examples of how you practice it?
- How do you approach setting direction for your team?
- What’s your favorite activity for team building?
- Tell me about a time you disagreed with someone?
- What do you do when people are at each others throats?
- Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone that you didn’t like particularly and how did you handle it?
- Looking for patterns – where they involved, did they lead something? Leaders can be trained, but instinct, drive and initiative are instilled early on.
- What were your favorite things to do as a kid?
- How did you spend your summers?
- How would you describe your college years?
- What do you do outside of work?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What motivates you?
Character Assessment/Interests and Passions:
- Looking for patterns – do they like to pursue new things, do they have a curious nature, are they passionate and enthusiastic.
- Last non business book you read (and last you would recommend – they may not be the same)?
- What’s the craziest or most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
- In your ‘out of the office’ time, what are three things you’re really passionate about?
- What do you do outside of work?
- What are your hobbies?
- What have you done recently for fun?
- What do you enjoy doing?
- What are you now interested in pursuing?
- Tell me about the process you go through to buy a car? (Gives insight into personality/skills – analytical junkie who does tons of online research and then test drives, etc. versus more impulsive walks in and buys that day, etc.)
Pursuit of Goals – Dreamer versus Doer
Look for patterns – are they taking steps to fulfill their dreams, have they done things in life or only talk about doing them one day.
- If you could work for one company in the world who would it be and why?
- If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be? Why?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Where is your dream vacation?
- Are you willing to work overtime? (Just watching body language can provide some insight)
- If you were to get a position, what kind of commitment to the company can you make? Short term? Long term?
- If you could choose one super hero power, what would it be and why?
- If you were a fruit, which would you be and why? If you were an animal, which would you be and why?
- Would you rather go to the opera or a baseball game, and why?
General Interview Questions:
- What is it about your background that I may not be knowledgeable enough to ask you about?
- Why did you gravitate towards this Industry?
- Is there anything else I should know?
- Who is the single most influential person in your life and why? (non-traditional answers vs. ‘mom’)
- What work have you enjoyed most, what work are you most proud of?